AMD Ryzen – A Leaked AMD Radeon RX 6000 Navi 21 GPU With 8GB GDDR6 Has Us Puzzled
Let’s start with the actual leak. An entry dated August 4, 2021 highlights a desktop system built around an MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard, a Ryzen 7 2700X processor, 32GB of memory, and both a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD and 500GB WD Blue 3D SATA SSD.
Have a look…
Here’s a handy cheat sheet:
- Radeon RX 6900 XT (16GB GDDR6): Navi 21 XTX
- Radeon RX 6800 XT (16GB GDDR6): Navi 21 XT
- Radeon RX 6800 (16GB GDDR6): Navi 21 XL
- Radeon RX 6700 XT (12GB GDDR6): Navi 22 XT
- Radeon RX 6600 XT (8GB GDDR6): Navi 23 XT
And here’s how the mobile RDNA 2 family lines up…
- Radeon RX 6800M (12GB GDDR6): Navi 22 XTM
- Radeon RX 6700M (12GB GDDR6): Navi 22
- Radeon RX 6600M (8GB GDDR6): Navi 23
Prominent leaker Komachi spotted the benchmark leak and may have some inside knowledge, though if so, they are not sharing it. The fact that they felt compelled to tweet it out, however, hints that there is more to the story than UserBenchmark just misreading the specifications.
This could also be a mobile kit being tested on a desktop platform, but again, the combination of Navi 21 with 8GB of memory does not neatly fit within the existing lineup. Prototypes can be weird that way, though, so who knows.
We’ll have to wait and see what, if anything, this turns out to be. In the meantime, consider us stumped.