PS5 – Best NVME SSD to use on PS5 — Infinite Start
One of the problems that every PS5 owner have since launch is how to manage their storage need since the console doesn’t have the capability to use the expansion slot to add an NVME SSD. That soon will change as Sony already has activated the expansion slot via the beta firmware that Sony recently released and soon will officially be out for everyone.
With a lot of NVME SSD that have already been out, Sony specifies that there are certain NVME SSD that only work with the PS5. With many generations of NVME SSD that have been released thus far, the one that the PS5 needs are the fastest one, and the only one that would work is a PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVME.
The PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD is designed to have a speed of up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write), which is significantly faster than the PCIe 3.0. Those who are thinking of purchasing an NVME SSD for PS5, please note that they are expensive and the highest speed available could cost as much as a PS5.
Here are what the PS5 needs:
- Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
- Sequential Read Speed: At least 5,500MB/s
- Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, or 22110
- Socket Type: Socket 3 (Key M)
- Capacity: 250GB – 4TB
- Cooling Structure: Requires either in a single-sided format, or double-sided heatsink
- Total size including heatsink: less than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H)